Servings: 6 • Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups • Calories: 215.7 • Fat: 0.7 g • Protein: 8.7 g • Carb: 42.0 g • Fiber: 6.7 g
- 1 (15 oz) can white beans, drained, rinsed (canellini or navy)
- 3 cups fat free chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- 1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 fresh rosemary sprig*
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh basil*
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley leaves*
- 1 oz chunk of good Parmesan cheese rind
- salt and fresh pepper
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped
- 2 cups chopped fresh or frozen spinach
- 2 cups cooked small pasta like ditalini or elbows (al dente)
- extra parmesan cheese to top
Rinse and drain beans. Puree beans with 1 cup of the broth in a blender.
In a crock pot, combine pureed beans, broth, tomatoes, carrots, celery, onion, garlic, herbs, Parmesan cheese rind, salt and pepper. Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
Forty minutes before the soup is done cooking, add zucchini and spinach. Cover and cook 30 more minutes. Add cooked pasta, cook 10 minutes more. Remove bay leaves, rosemary sprig, parmesan rind and season to taste with salt and black pepper. Ladle soup into bowls and top with extra parmesan cheese.
*can use dried herbs