The most important thing I can say about breakfast is this: If you are one of those people that say, "I'm not hungry in the morning" or "I can't eat that early" you are: a) eating too late at night, and b) dehydrated when you wake up.
hydrated! I usually do this by drinking alkaline water with powdered sprouted greens, cayenne pepper and lemon juice. You can also simply drink a tall, 16 oz. glass of water upon arising! You can brew up a nice herbal tea! Or you can blend or extract any other zinger of a juice! Lately, we've been enjoying juicing veggies and fruits. The point is to get hydrated first thing in the morning. Period.
green smoothie. Blend up your favorite smoothie (remembering to switch things up every day to get a wide variety of nutrients). Before you eat your cooked breakfast, your body needs the enzymes found in your raw green smoothie. This is incredibly important for digestion, anti-aging, assimilation and a host of other vital functions that make you look and feel good!
Now you are ready to eat a hearty breakfast! Here are some great ideas:
- Whole wheat toast with coconut oil and almond butter
- Oatmeal with cinnamon, nuts, raisins and your milk of choice
- Whole grain toast spread with greek yogurt and topped with smoked salmon and capers
- Whole wheat baguette sliced open and topped with thinly sliced apples and a pungent cheddar cheese broiled 2-3 minutes
- Swiss Muesli (rolled oats, nuts, seeds, dried fruit) soaked overnight in milk, orange juice or yogurt
- Greek yogurt with granola and frozen berries
- Eggs and veggies wrapped in a tortilla with salsa
- Whole wheat waffles topped with any nut butter and applesauce
- Our favorite "special" breakfast for birthdays and holidays: whole wheat crepes with fresh fruit and other fun toppings!
- Granola with almond milk
- A hearty green smoothie with a plant-based protein powder, chia seeds and coconut oil
These are things we eat regularly at our house! (Some of these depend on if I'm pro egg and yogurt that week. I'm a fence sitter when it comes to range eggs and unpasteurized yogurt!)
I hope this converts you to being a breakfast eater. Stop eating late, get hydrated first thing in the morning and then start your day off right with a hearty breakfast!
Comment with your favorite breakfast recipes!