Sunday, May 16, 2010

Spiced Quinoa


I found this recipes on allrecipes.com and made it for a dinner party. Everyone thought it was delicious! And it is super healthy too :)

(serves 4)

Ingredients

  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 3/4 cup quinoa
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon cumin
  • 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 1/2 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth
  • 1 (14 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1/2 cup toasted pine nuts
  • 1/2 cup raisins, soaked in hot water and drained (optional)

Directions

  1. Stir together the olive oil, onion, and garlic in a saucepan over medium heat until the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in the quinoa, curry powder, salt, pepper, cumin, cinnamon, and chicken stock. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer 20 minutes until the quinoa is tender.
  2. Once the quinoa has finished cooking, stir in the drained garbanzo beans,toasted pine nuts, and raisins. Serve warm or cold.

* The raisins make this dish, so add them. I didn't soak them before like it calls for. I didn't have pine nuts but I did add chopped zucchini that I par cooked before adding to the quinoa.

Happy Eating!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds yummy and easy! I usually have all of those ingredients on hand!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if Heidi's told you, but I am definitely NOT the healthiest eater in the world...but I've been wanting to try quinoa, and this looks like the perfect dish for me to try!

    ReplyDelete