Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Spicy Sweet Potato Soup

Yippee! Soup weather is here! I have made quite a few in the last 2 weeks. This sweet potato soup is good and good for you. I have made it twice now and Dane said it was like having dessert for dinner! Ian didn't eat but one bite and went for the bread instead. Sadly, my good little eater is going through some phase where he asks for bagels and candy at every meal.

Spicy Sweet Potato Soup

1 yellow onion diced
2 cloves garlic
3 carrots peeled and sliced
2-3 sweet potatos
3-4 cups chicken or vegi broth
1/4 teaspoon each, cardamom, cinnamon, cayenne pepper or paprika, ginger
Salt and pepper to taste.

Bake sweet potato's in oven for 1 hour or until soft. Allow to cool a bit before handling. Meanwhile dice onion and garlic and saute in a large pot with olive oil. Cook carrots on stovetop until soft. Slice sweet potato's in half and scoop out the inside into the pot with onion and garlic. Add cooked carrots and broth. Use an emulsion blender, if you have one, to blend everything until smooth. Or, blend in a blender in batches until smooth. Add more broth if a thinner soup is desired. Add spices to taste at the end. I really enjoy this soup with garlic bread that has been broiled in the oven and then chopped into crouton-sized pieces that can be sprinkled on top of the soup. Also, a dollop of sour cream or plain yogurt is yummy too!
Enjoy!
Feeds 4-6

4 comments:

  1. I'm going to make this tomorrow for Jace's birthday party!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Made this again tonight and it's always SO good! This time I used sweet potatoes instead of yams and it was really good! I can't decide which one I like better :) I love the cayenne in it. And I love that it's a creamy soup without being full of heavy cream or milk.

    ReplyDelete