Saturday, April 30, 2011

Whole Wheat PIzza Dough

I have never made pizza dough by hand until last night! 
Mixing with a wooden spoon and hand kneading were actually much easier than bringing out the KitchenAid, and more rewarding too! 
I think I learned more about pizza dough in this one night than I have in the few years I've been making it. What the dough should feel like; what each ingredient does to the batter...the old fashioned way is worth it!
This is the BEST pizza dough recipe! (or so says my husband :) I have yet to find a 100% whole wheat pizza dough that tastes good and isn't like cardboard. This is definitely a recipe that I'm willing to make an exception on and add some white flour--it's pizza, for heaven's sake!

1 TBSP active, dry yeast
1 cup warm water
2 TBSP olive oil
1 TBSP honey
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup white whole wheat flour (plus more for dusting)
1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour

  • Mix the yeast and water in a small bowl, cover and let stand until foamy. 
  • Mix the oil, honey, salt and yeast mixture in a large mixing bowl. 
  • Add the flour in all at once and stir with a wooden spoon. 
  • Turn the dough onto a floured surface and knead (adding more white whole wheat flour as needed) until dough is moderately stiff and somewhat firm to the touch, about 6 min.
  • Lightly grease pans. Roll out the dough on a floured surface. 
  • Stretch the dough to fill the pan.  Let it rise while you prepare sauce and toppings. 
  • Top with whatever you like! 
  • Bake 425, 15-20 minutes. 
  • Makes one 16-inch medium crust pizza or two 12-inch thin crust pizzas or four 8-inch thin crust pizzas.  (Thin crust is the best! My husband is dying over this pizza!)

No comments:

Post a Comment