Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Original Bannana Pumpkin Cake (Loaf)

3 ripe bananas
6 eggs
4 cups sugar
1 ½ cups oil
1/3 cup water
1/3 cup milk or buttermilk
1 #2 ½ can pumpkin
5 ½ cups flour
3 tsp soda
3 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp nutmeg
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp cloves

Cream eggs, sugar and bananas- add oil, water buttermilk and pumpkin. Sift dry ingredients 3 times and add to the above. Add chocolate chips or walnuts if desired.
Bake 350˚ for about an hour
Makes: 4 large loaves, 5 small loaves, or 75 cupcakes
Freezes well
Great with Cream cheese Frosting

How I made it Healthy (this is what I served at my house that night):
This is my grandma’s original recipe that she made for my mom’s wedding cake. My kids LOVE it, but it’s, well, cake. Not so good for you really. So this is what I did…
For the sweetener:
Instead of Sugar I used:
1 cup agave nectar
1 cup honey
½ cup maple syrup
Instead of that much oil I used:
¾ cup applesauce and ¾ cup oil
To make up for all the added moisture I:
Added 2 cups of quick oats (if you blend it up with the first ingredients and then let it soak in them for 5 minutes it softens it nicely)
I either use all whole wheat or ½ whole and ½ white (use ½ cup less if adding 2 cups oats)
I didn’t have 6 eggs once and put in a scoop of Veganaise instead of one and it was awesome.
I add a mixture of chocolate chips. Some milk choc, some naturally sweetened, some bittersweet. Depends on what I have on hand, but the combination seems to be my favorite flavor actually!
I like small loaves better, I cooked it on 335˚ because I knew it would take longer to cook and I don’t like the outer edges to be over-done. (I even ended up turning it down to 325 for the one big loaf that was left in longer)
I hope this wasn’t too confusing. I could have just typed the adapted recipe, but Megan was saying she wanted to learn how to adapt recipes to be sugar-free and I thought seeing it laid out like this would help. Still a dessert, but one that's much better for you...ENJOY!!!

1 comment: